Thursday, February 25, 2010

King - nay, QUEEN - of the mountain

I grew up in Chicago, where several skiing/snowboarding areas are just a car trip away and then I moved to sunny Southern California for the weather. And now every winter I have the inclination to brave the freeways and head to the closest ski resort Mt. Baldy. I didn't actually try snowboarding until junior high, when a couple of friends made me go snowboarding with them. For some reason, they didn't think I needed the lessons or any practice on the bunny hill. While we were on the lift ride up, both of them kept going, "It's so easy! Toeside-heelside-toeside-heelside!"

We got off the lift at the top of the hill, at which point they both promptly flew down the mountainside. At this point, I didn't know anyone up there, I didn't understand what a toeside or a heelside was, and most importantly, I didn't know how to start moving once both of my feet were strapped to a board.

As you might imagine, the first few runs didn't go very well. I sort of hopped to the edge of the slope and then went straight down it. Um, and I didn't know how to stop. So when I got to the bottom, I just purposely wiped out. It was a pretty rough day.

But that was a long time ago, and since then, I've had more patient friends who have shown me the way of the board. I moved to sunny Southern California for the weather, but every winter I have the inclination to brave the freeways and head to Mt. Baldy.

Since my first unfortunate experience, I've had more patient friends who have shown me the way of the board. With the majority of them currently being unemployed, it's pretty easy to get together for a weekday snow trip. So regardless of this recession, today's SocialBuy deal for $32 for a one-day weekday lift ticket will get them to stop complaining about budgetary concerns and head for the slopes.

If you've never been snowboarding or skiing before, you should consider this your sign to try it. Just make sure to start out on the bunny hill...

No comments:

Post a Comment